Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Weeee wish to welcome you to Munchkinland!"



I am a really big fan of The Wizard of Oz. I always have been, and I think the reason why is because I can relate the characters to my life. My dad has always been a Winkie living in the Vinkus, my momma is the Wicked Witch of the West, and so on. Yet, when I read the book Wicked, the entire cast changed for me. I became the Wicked Witch of the West (aka Elphalba), my sister is the Wicked Witch of the East (Nessarose), My grandmother is Nanny, and Jaime seemed to be the Good to my Bad, she is Glinda, the Good Witch. So, I question, "Are you a good witch or a bad witch?" (Glinda) "I'm not a witch at all." (Dorthey)


I was so excited to hear that they were coming out with a box set for the 70th Anniversary! It is so amazing too. It has stills, the original film budget, a comemrative book, and the movie on both DVD and blu-ray! It came out last Tuesday and I have yet to go out and get it, but being flat broke will do that to you. My brother picked it up though, and my neice loved it!

Lee Ann is going as the Wicked Witch of the West for Halloween this year and if I am still up here, I will be Dorthey just so that we can go Trick-or-Treating and people do not think she is just another witch. The WWoftheW is my favorite character from the Oz, so it seems fitting that my favorite (and only) neice will be her. I am making wings for one of her stuft monkeys, so that she has her 'Flying Monkey'.
I will suggest this before I go; if you have never read Wicked and Son of a Witch (Gregory MaGuire), do so. It gives a new twist to the Land of Oz. Also for old times sake, sit down and watch the movie. Sing-a-long even, I won't tell!
5 All Time Best Oz songs:
Ding, Dong, the Witch is Dead!
If I Only Had a Brain
The Merry Old Land of Oz
If I Were King of The Forest
And (of course)
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

5 comments:

  1. Wasn't Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" also part of the original soundtrack? Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no I don't believe so but I can't be to sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "As Long as you're Mine" is one of my favorite songs EVER, showtune or otherwise. :) I'm just popping in b/c I saw a comment you left on ex-hot girl's blog and I am live in Louisville, too. I like Kentucky bloggers. :)

    Wicked is amazing. Did you see it on stage in Louisville? I didn't make it to the show, but wanted to see it so much. I am punching myself in the face for not going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lizz, if you read the first 2 Wicked Books, try "A Lion Among Men" which is about the Cowardly Lion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amber- no i so did not get to see it. Wanted to so bad. Tanx for stopping by.

    trinity- ill try and remember to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete